Weddings entertainment headache?
Some words of wisdom from wedding entertainment professionals…
The general consensus is that this year you will spend at least 300 hours planning your big day, sorting out your dress, flowers, venue, and a million other things, and you will also spend a good deal of time looking for wedding entertainment. If you have spent more than five minutes searching online for a live band for your wedding reception, two things will have become apparent:
- there is a bewildering array of live bands advertising themselves as perfect for your wedding reception
- most of them pretty much do the same thing
How to choose your Wedding Band?
We know Weddings! There, we said it, it’s true – many of us perform a broad mix of classic and contemporary live music. Many of us are gigging regularly. So how to choose? It can be quite infuriating, can’t it! To help, here are a few suggestions you might like to take into consideration:
- Like paying “over the odds” for your wedding entertainment? Then hire though an entertainment agency. While there are some benefits of hiring a live band through one of the many agencies plying their wares online, they are usually only a good idea if the band you are interested can’t be found anywhere else online or are pretty bad communicators – essentially the agency act as managers. You will however be paying a commission to the agency for this, which will mean you’ll be paying an extra 15% – 20% more than if you hire the band direct.
- Don’t see the band play live. Yes, that does sound counterintuitive, doesn’t it – of course you should see the band play live; how else are you going to get an idea of what they sound like? Well consider this – professional bands (like Four on the Floor) usually perform at weddings, business events and parties; all of which are private functions, whereas amateur bands mostly tend to perform at pubs and clubs, but not wedding receptions. The main reason for this is that professional bands are usually too busy to be able to perform in public on a Friday or Saturday night, so if you DO see a band perform in public, they are going to be an amateur band, and as amateur bands may not be able to play a broad enough style of music to suit all of your guests, may not be very well organised, may not even turn up, etc, suddenly the choice becomes clear – go professional.
- Are they happy to learn song requests? A simple question, but you would be surprised the number of bands who actively refuse to learn song requests or who will demand an extra fee for the privilege. Four on the Floor band are happy to look at learning any song request you may have, and won’t charge you for it!
- How long have you waited for a reply to your request for a quote or information? A few days? A week? Longer? Ouch. Sounds like the band you’re interested in aren’t too interested in you. Contrary to popular opinion, not all musicians that disorganised. If we receive your email, we will always reply within 24 hours. If we don’t, we haven’t received your email – it’s as simple as that.
Hire a Wedding Band
We play at lots of weddings every year, for a quote, information or just an informal chat about hiring Four on the Floor to perform at your wedding reception, call us direct on 0796 433 5657 or email us at email@example.com . We look forward to hearing from you!